Location: Jersey City, NJ
Jersey City is the 2nd most populous city in New Jersey behind Newark. Surrounded by the Upper New York Harbor and the Hudson River, the city has an estimated population of 264,152 residents. New Jersey residents have had historically high electricity rates compared to the rest of the country ranking 10th highest. This is one of the main reasons why NJ deregulated their energy market in 1999. The hope was that added competition would drive down electricity prices for residents. While thousands of Jersey City residents have switched to a lower energy rate, the majority have not shopped and switched off their utility yet. Learn more about the Jersey City energy market in this section.
Check Out Our Latest Video on New Jersey Energy Usage
Solar Score for Jersey City, NJ
Compare Electricity has developed a solar score for Jersey City, NJ residents and businesses of 34/100. The score is based on on a combination of factors including how much sun the area receives, roof space and obstacles that may obstruct the sun, electricity generation needed to be cost-effective, and more. Here is a description of each section of the solar score graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Jersey City, NJ
Jersey City, NJ produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Over 90% of the energy produced in from natural gas or nuclear energy
- 75% of the renewable energy produced comes from solar
- Even though there are no fossil fuels in Jersey City, coal is imported from other states
- Natural gas has out produced nuclear energy since 2013
Looking for a specific city in New Jersey? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: