Energy Sources in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania passed The Electric Generation Customer Choice and Competition Act of 1996 and by January of 2000 retail electricity providers were beginning to enter the state. Currently, over 500,000 PA residents and businesses have taken advantage of their right to switch electricity providers. Pennsylvania residents have 13% higher rates on average than the rest of the country. However, PA businesses enjoy 7% cheaper rates on average than the rest of the US. Below you can find more information on the Pennsylvania energy market.
Check Out Our Latest Video on Pennsylvania
Solar Score for Pennsylvania
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- PA is the leading producer of coal, natural gas, electricity petroleum in the US
- Pennsylvania is the 3rd largest energy producing state in the US
- About 4% of the energy produced in PA comes from renewable energy sources that include hydroelectric, wind, biomass and solar
- Pennsylvania’s gross domestic product ranked sixth among the states in 2017
Looking for a specific city in Pennsylvania? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: