Location: Germantown, MD
With a population of 90,676 as of the 2010 US census, Germantown is the the 3rd largest city in Maryland behind Baltimore and Columbia. Germantown is located approximately 25–30 miles (40–48 km) outside of the U.S. capital of Washington, D.C. and is an important part of the Washington metropolitan area. Germantown has had energy deregulation since 1999 when the state of Maryland passed the Electric Utility Industry Restructuring Act allowing retail energy providers into the state. Below you can find more information on the Germantown energy profile as well as current electricity rates.
Solar Score for Germantown, MD
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Germantown, MD
Maryland produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Coal and nuclear power account for nearly 75% of Maryland’s total energy production
- 40% of Maryland residents use electricity to heat their homes in the winter
- Maryland is home to the Conowingo hydroelectric power plant, one of the biggest hydroelectric plants in the US
- Natural gas has been increasing in the last decade but is still far behind coal and nuclear power in MD
Looking for a specific city in Maryland? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: