Maryland’s Energy Consumption
Maryland began the process of deregulating their energy market in 1999. The state legislature passed the Electric Utility Industry Restructuring Act that changed the face of the MD utility industry. Under the act, Maryland residents had a choice to choose their power supplier from either their utility or a retail energy supplier (REP). By 2007, the utilities in the state had completely restructured and independent retail energy providers we able to offer their services to Maryland residents. Below you will find more information about energy usage, rates, solar potential and energy sources in Maryland.
Here is Our Latest Video For Maryland Residents
Solar Score for Maryland
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Maryland
Maryland produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Coal and nuclear power account for nearly 75% of Maryland’s total energy production
- 40% of Maryland residents use electricity to heat their homes in the winter
- Maryland is home to the Conowingo hydroelectric power plant, one of the biggest hydroelectric plants in the US
- Natural gas has been increasing in the last decade but is still far behind coal and nuclear power in MD
Looking for a specific city in Maryland? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: