Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Ann Arbor is located in the southeast part of Michigan and has an estimated 144,000 residents. It is the 6th largest city in the state and is home to the University of Michigan which employs 40,000 workers in the city. Ann Arbor residents have had an energy choice since June of 200o when the state legislature passed energy deregulation laws that made the utilities in the state restructure and open their market to retail energy providers. Residents of Ann Arbor, as well as the rest of Michigan, are able to shop their energy supply rates against their utility at any time. Below you will find more information on the Ann Arbor energy market.
Solar Score for Ann Arbor, MI
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Ann Arbor, MI
Ann Arbor, MI produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Coal is the main source of electricity generation with half of Ann Arbor residents using it as their main source of electricity
- Natural gas has doubled in the last decade and should continue to grow for the foreseeable future
- 75% of the energy generated in the state comes from the lower peninsula
- 3 nuclear power plants supply nearly 30% of the electricity generation
Looking for a specific city in Michigan? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: