Location: Detroit, MI
Detroit is the most populous city in the state of Michigan. With over 600,000 residents in the city and over 4 million in the metro area, it is the 2nd biggest metro area in the Midwest. Beginning in March of 1999, Michigan started to phase in energy deregulation over a period of a year and a half. The plan was to slowly allow more and more residents access until the state was fully deregulated by June of 2000. Today, all Detroit residents have the option to switch their supply rate off their utility to a lower supply rate from a retail energy provider (REP). For more information on the Detroit energy market, see the graphs below.
Check Out The Latest Video on the Michigan Energy Market
Solar Score for Detroit, MI
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Detroit, MI
Detroit, MI produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Natural gas has double in usage in the past 10 years
- Coal power plants make up 40% of the total power plants in the state of Michigan
- Wind energy is the most generated renewable energy source
- There are 3 nuclear power plants in the state making up 28% of electricity generation
Looking for a specific city in Michigan? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: