Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Grand Rapids is located in the southwest part of Michigan and is the 2nd largest city in the state. The city has a population of 188,040 and has a metro area of over one million residents. Grand Rapids is known for its manufacturing with the industrial sector making up a large portion of energy usage. Grand Rapids residents have had a choice in an electricity supplier since 2000 when the state legislature passed energy deregulation laws. These laws called for the state utilities to restructure and allow for retail energy providers to enter the market. Below you can find more information on Grand Rapids energy usage, source, solar score and electricity rates.
Solar Score for Grand Rapids, MI
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Grand Rapids, MI
Grand Rapids, MI produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Coal is the main source of electricity generation with half of Grand Rapids residents using it as their main source of electricity
- Natural gas has doubled in the last decade and should continue to grow for the foreseeable future
- 75% of the energy generated in the state comes from the lower peninsula
- 3 nuclear power plants supply nearly 30% of the electricity generation
Looking for a specific city in Michigan? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: