Location: Lansing, MI 48910
Lansing is the capital of Michigan with an estimated population of over 114,000 residents. 2 of the biggest employers in Lansing are universities with Michigan State University and Western Michigan University both located near Lansing. Prior to 2000, Lansing residents did not have a choice in the electricity supply rate. Once energy deregulation laws were passed by the Michigan legislature, it opened up the Michigan energy market and gave Lansing residents the ability to shop their energy supply rate. While thousands of Lansing residents have switched, the majority have still not taken advantage of their ability to shop and compare electricity rates. For more information on the Lansing energy market, see the graphs below.
Solar Score for Lansing, MI 48910
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Lansing, MI 48910
Lansing, MI produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Coal is the main source of electricity generation with half of Lansing residents using it as their main source of electricity
- Natural gas has doubled in the last decade and should continue to grow for the foreseeable future
- 75% of the energy generated in the state comes from the lower peninsula
- 3 nuclear power plants supply nearly 30% of the electricity generation
Looking for a specific city in Michigan? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: