Energy Usage in New Jersey
Location: New Jersey
New Jersey deregulated their energy market in 1999 when they passed Electric Discount and Energy Competition Act. This law gave residents and businesses in the state the ability to shop independent electricity providers for the best supply rate. Although New Jersey residents have had the ability to switch providers for nearly 20 years, only about 20% have switched their electricity provider. With the 10th highest electricity rates in the country, New Jersey residents and businesses may be able to find a lower electricity rate by shopping around.
Check Out Our Latest Video on New Jersey Energy Usage
Solar Score for New Jersey
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. New Jersey has received a solar score of 44. Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for New Jersey
New Jersey produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Over 90% of the electricity produced in NJ comes from natural gas or nuclear energy.
- Coal and renewable energy make up the remaining electricity production in New Jersey
- There are 3 nuclear power plants in New Jersey
- Solar power supplies nearly 75% of the renewable energy generated in New Jersey
Looking for a specific city in New Jersey? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: