Location: El Paso, TX
El Paso is located on the Rio Grande in the far western border of Texas. The city population is 649,833 but the region is home to more than 2 million residents. El Paso residents have had an energy choice since 1999 when Senate Bill 7 was passed in Texas. This bill called for the state utilities to restructure and opened the energy market to retail energy providers. Since the bill was passed, over 40% of El Paso residents have switched off their utility to an independent supplier. For more information on the Houston energy market and for electricity rates, see the information below.
Check Out Our Latest Video on Texas Energy
Solar Score for El Paso, TX
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for El Paso, TX
Texas produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Texas leads the nation in producing crude oil, natural gas, and overall energy production
- Texas has 29 oil refineries that can produce over 5 million barrels of crude oil per day
- TX leads the nation in natural gas production and hold 25% of all the natural gas reserves in the US
- A rapidly growing wind energy initiative in TX has resulted in in 18,500 mW of installed capacity
Looking for a specific city in Texas? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: