Location: Champaign, IL
Located 135 miles south of Chicago, Champaign is the 10th most populous city in Illinois. Champaign has an estimated population of 84,651 and is home to the University of Illinois. Starting in 1997, Champaign residents have had the ability to shop and compare electricity supply rates. The Illinois Electric Service Customer Choice and The Rate Relief Law opened the energy market to the entire state of Illinois and allowed retail energy providers to start offering their electricity rates. In this section, you will find more information about Champaign, IL residents energy sources, solar energy potential, usage information and electricity rates.
Check Out The Latest Video on The Illinois Energy Market
Solar Score for Champaign, IL
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Champaign, IL
Champaign, IL produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- IL is a leading wind energy producer in the US with over 4,000 Mw installed
- Illinois has the largest crude oil-refining capacity in the Midwest
- Illinois has an estimated 2.5 million short tons of coal reserves
- IL is home to 1/8 of all nuclear energy production in the US
Looking for a specific city in Illinois? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: