Location: Chicago, IL 60602
With over 2.7 million residents, the city of Chicago is the 3rd most populous city in the US. The Chicago metro area is home to over 10 million residents. Chicago’s energy is served by the utility ComEd, which is the largest energy utility in IL. With the passing of the Illinois Electric Service Customer Choice and The Rate Relief Law in 1997, Chicago residents were given the choice to choose a retail energy provider’s supply rate over their utility supply rates. By 2002, the state of Illinois was fully deregulated and new retail energy providers (REPs) began to offer their services. Below you will find more information on Chicago energy usage, sources, solar potential and more.
Check Out The Latest Video on The Illinois Energy Market
Solar Score for Chicago, IL 60602
Compare Electricity has developed a solar score for Chicago, IL residents and businesses of 24. This score is based on on a combination of factors including how much sun the area receives, roof space and obstacles that may obstruct the sun, electricity generation needed to be cost-effective, and more. Here is a description of each section of the solar score graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Chicago, IL 60602
Chicago, IL produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Illinois fossil fuels include substantial coal reserves and some crude oil
- IL is the nation’s leading ethanol producer with over 26 million acres of farmland
- The majority of renewable energy produced in Illinois comes from wind energy
- Illinois leads the nation in electricity generated from nuclear power
Looking for a specific city in Illinois? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: