Location: Chicago, IL 60684
With over 2.7 million residents, the city of Chicago is the 3rd most populous city in the US. The Chicago metro area is home to over 10 million residents. Chicago’s energy is served by the utility ComEd, which is the largest energy utility in IL. With the passing of the Illinois Electric Service Customer Choice and The Rate Relief Law in 1997, Chicago residents were given the choice to choose a retail energy provider’s supply rate over their utility supply rates. By 2002, the state of Illinois was fully deregulated and new retail energy providers (REPs) began to offer their services. Below you will find more information on Chicago energy usage, sources, solar potential and more.
Solar Score for Chicago, IL 60684
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Chicago, IL 60684
Chicago, IL produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Illinois fossil fuels include substantial coal reserves and some crude oil
- IL is the nation’s leading ethanol producer with over 26 million acres of farmland
- The majority of renewable energy produced in Illinois comes from wind energy
- Illinois leads the nation in electricity generated from nuclear power
Looking for a specific city in Illinois? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: