Location: Springfield, IL 62766
Springfield is the capital of Illinois with a population of 116,250 as of the 2010 census. However, the city is estimated to have grown in population to over 211,000 residents today. The city is located in the center of Illinois and is surrounded by rural farmland. Springfield residents were given the choice to switch off their utility to a retail energy provider in 1997 with the passing of the Illinois Electric Service Customer Choice and The Rate Relief Law. This law called for the current utilities in Illinois to restructure and opened the doors for retail energy providers to start to offer their rates to Springfield residents. For more information on the Springfield, IL energy market, see the graphs below.
Solar Score for Springfield, IL 62766
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Springfield, IL 62766
Springfield, IL produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Illinois is the national leader in electricity generation from nuclear power
- IL has a substantial amount of coal reserves with 23 active coal mines
- Illinois is 6th in the nation in wind energy capacity
- With its vast farmlands, IL is the leading ethanol producer in the US
Looking for a specific city in Illinois? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: