Location: Salem, MA
With its rich history and iconic landmarks, more than a million people visit Salem, MA each year. Located on the mouth of the Naumkeag river, the town of Salem has a little over 41,000 residents. When Massachusetts passed energy deregulation laws in 1999, Salem resident was given the choice to switch off their utility to a lower electricity supply rate. Retail energy providers started offering their rates to Salem residents in the early 2000s. Today, Massachusetts experience some of the highest energy rates in the country so it is important residents take advantage of their energy deregulation and shop for the lowest electricity rates. In this section, you can find more information on the Salem energy market.
Check Out Our Latest Video on Massachusetts
Solar Score for Salem, MA
Compare Electricity has developed a solar score for Salem, MA residents and businesses of 22. This score is based on on a combination of factors including how much sun the area receives, roof space and obstacles that may obstruct the sun, electricity generation needed to be cost-effective, and more. Here is a description of each section of the solar score graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Salem, MA
Salem, MA produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Nearly all nonrenewable energy generation comes from natural gas
- Coal is imported in from other states as a small source of energy in MA
- Solar energy has grown rapidly in the last 10 years in Salem, MA
- A small percentage of Salem residents use nuclear power as their main source of electricity
Looking for a specific city in Massachusetts? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: