Location: Springfield, MA
Springfield is located on the banks of the Connecticut River in Hampden County, MA. As of the 2010 census, the town had a population of 153,060 residents with a metro area of over 600,000 residents. Springfield’s energy market became deregulated in the 1999 when the state passed energy deregulation laws. These laws called for Massachusetts utilities to restructure and allow for retail energy providers (REPs) to start offering their electricity supply rates to Springfield residents. The goal was to create a competitive energy market in Massachusetts to drive down rates for consumers. However, today Massachusetts still has some of the highest energy rates in the country. For more information on the Springfield energy market, see the graphs below.
Check Out Our Latest Video on Massachusetts
Solar Score for Springfield, MA
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. Springfield, MA has received a solar score of 36. Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Springfield, MA
Springfield, MA produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Nearly all non-renewable energy generation comes from natural gas
- Coal is imported in from other states as a small source of energy in MA
- Solar energy has grown rapidly in the last 10 years in Springfield, MA
- A small percentage of Springfield residents use nuclear power as their main source of electricity
Looking for a specific city in Massachusetts? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: