New Hampshire Energy Usage
Location: New Hampshire
Located in the New England region of the US, New Hampshire is the 5th smallest state by land and 10th least populated state in the nation. New Hampshire was the first state in the nation to pass energy deregulation laws in 1996. The passing of legislature RSA 374-F opened up the energy market to retail energy providers and made the state's utilities restructure and "unbundle" their services. While there are no fossil fuels in New Hampshire, the state is home to a wide range of renewable energy. Hydroelectric, wind, solar and biomass are all generated in NH. New Hampshire residents are one of the most energy-efficient in the country. For more information on NH energy usage, source, solar potential and electricity rates, see the graphs below.
Check Out The Latest Video on New Hampshire
Solar Score for New Hampshire
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for New Hampshire
New Hampshire produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- New Hampshire has no fossil fuels, all fossil fuels used in NH are imported
- New Hampshire has the largest nuclear energy plant in the northeast
- Biomass accounts for nearly half of all renewable energy generate in New Hampshire
- Natural gas usage has nearly doubled in the last decade
Looking for a specific city in New Hampshire? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: