Location: Albany, NY 12222
Albany is the capital of New York and is located 150 miles north of NYC. Albany is on the west bank of the Hudson River and has a population over 97,856 as of the 2010 US census. The metro area of Albany includes suburbs of Troy, Schenectady, and Saratoga Springs and has a total population of over 1.1 million people. Albany residents have had a choice in an energy supplier since 1996 when New York passed energy deregulation laws to increase competition and drive down rates. This means that Albany’s residents can choose who they want to supply their natural gas and electricity. However, the energy generation and delivery will still come from their utility. For more information on the Albany energy market, see the information below.
Solar Score for Albany, NY 12222
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Albany, NY 12222
Albany, NY produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- 80% of the renewable energy produced in the state comes from hydroelectric power
- ¾ of energy generation comes from natural gas and nuclear power
- Most of the new renewable energy production comes from wind energy installations
- Biomass and coal make up a small percentage of energy generation in NY
Looking for a specific city in New York? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: