Location: Syracuse, NY
Syracuse is the 5th most populous city in the state of New York with an estimated population of 145,252. Located in central NY, it has a metro area of over 650,000 people and is know as the educational hub on New York with serval universities. When the state of New York deregulated their energy market in 1996, it gave Syracuse residents a choice to shop their electricity and natural gas rates. Retail energy providers started to enter the market and offer their own rates to compete with the utility’s supply rates. While thousands have switched off their utilities, the majority of residents still have not shopped and compared rates. For more information on Syracuse energy usage, sources, solar potential, and energy rates see the graphs below.
Check Out Our Latest New York Video
Solar Score for Syracuse, NY
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Syracuse, NY
Syracuse, NY produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- 80% of the renewable energy produced in the state comes from hydroelectric power
- ¾ of energy generation comes from natural gas and nuclear power
- Most of the new renewable energy production comes from wind energy installations
- Biomass and coal make up a small percentage of energy generation in NY
Looking for a specific city in New York? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: