Location: Buffalo, NY 14260
Buffalo, NY is on the eastern shore of the Erie river and on the Niagara River. The city is home to 256,164 residents and has a metro area of over 1 million people. Due to high energy costs in the 1990s, New York was looking for a way to increase competition and drive down energy rates for the residents of NY. In 1996, the state passed energy deregulation laws giving Buffalo residents, along with the rest of the state, a choice to shop and switch energy rates. For more information on Buffalo, NY energy rates and information on Buffalo energy market, see the information below.
Solar Score for Buffalo, NY 14260
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Buffalo, NY 14260
Buffalo, NY produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- 80% of the renewable energy produced in the state comes from hydroelectric power
- ¾ of energy generation comes from natural gas and nuclear power
- Most of the new renewable energy production comes from wind energy installations
- Biomass and coal make up a small percentage of energy generation in NY
Looking for a specific city in New York? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: