Location: New York City, NY
New York City is the largest city in the United States with over 8 million residents. It is also home to the largest metro area in the US with over 23.7 million people living in the city. The city is composed of 5 boroughs and each is its own county. New York passed energy deregulation laws in the late 1990s that made the state’s utilities “unbundle” their generation, delivery and supply charges. Today, all New Yorkers can shop and compare their supply rates with competitors. For more information on New York City’s energy market, see the graphs below.
Check Out Our Latest New York Video
Solar Score for New York City, NY
Compare Electricity has developed a solar score for New York City, NY residents and businesses of 37/100. The score is based on on a combination of factors including how much sun the area receives, roof space and obstacles that may obstruct the sun, electricity generation needed to be cost-effective, and more. Here is a description of each section of the solar score graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for New York City, NY
New York City, NY produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- 80% of the renewable energy produced in the state comes from hydroelectric power
- ¾ of energy generation comes from natural gas and nuclear power
- Most of the new renewable energy production comes from wind energy installations
- Biomass and coal make up a small percentage of energy generation in NY
Looking for a specific city in New York? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: