Location: Columbus, OH 43222
Columbus is the capital and the largest city in Ohio with a population of 860,093 residents. Columbus is the 2nd largest city in the Midwest and has a metro area of over 2.2 million people. The Columbus economy is centered around government and education with Ohio State University located in the city. Ohio restructured its energy market in 1999 when it passed Senate Bill 3 which made the state’s utilities restructure and allowed retail energy providers to enter the state. By 2001, Columbus residents had a choice in their energy supplier and could shop around for the best rate. For more information on the Columbus, OH energy market, including electricity rates, see the information below.
Solar Score for Columbus, OH 43222
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Columbus, OH 43222
Columbus, OH produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Nearly 2/3 of the energy produced in Ohio comes from coal
- Natural gas generation has increased significantly in OH over the past decade
- Wind energy is the most abundant renewable energy source with hydroelectric and solar installations increasing in the past 5 years
- There are 2 nuclear power plants in the state that supply 16% of the total energy generation in Ohio
Looking for a specific city in Ohio? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: