Location: Columbus, OH 43224
Columbus is the capital and the largest city in Ohio with a population of 860,093 residents. Columbus is the 2nd largest city in the Midwest and has a metro area of over 2.2 million people. The Columbus economy is centered around government and education with Ohio State University located in the city. Ohio restructured its energy market in 1999 when it passed Senate Bill 3 which made the state’s utilities restructure and allowed retail energy providers to enter the state. By 2001, Columbus residents had a choice in their energy supplier and could shop around for the best rate. For more information on the Columbus, OH energy market, including electricity rates, see the information below.
Solar Score for Columbus, OH 43224
Compare Electricity has developed a solar score for Columbus, OH residents and businesses of 30/100. The score is based on on a combination of factors including how much sun the area receives, roof space and obstacles that may obstruct the sun, electricity generation needed to be cost-effective, and more. Here is a description of each section of the solar score graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Columbus, OH 43224
Columbus, OH produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Nearly 2/3 of the energy produced in Ohio comes from coal
- Natural gas generation has increased significantly in OH over the past decade
- Wind energy is the most abundant renewable energy source with hydroelectric and solar installations increasing in the past 5 years
- There are 2 nuclear power plants in the state that supply 16% of the total energy generation in Ohio
Looking for a specific city in Ohio? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: