Location: Harrisburg, PA 17110
Harrisburg is the capital of Pennsylvania and is the 9th largest city in the state. With a population of 48,904, the city sites on the banks of the Susquehanna River and is a little over 100 miles west of Philadelphia. While the city itself isn’t very large, the Harrisburg metro area is home to 1.2 million residents making it the 3rd largest metro in the state of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Part of Harrisburg’s rich history is passing House Bill 1509 that began the process of deregulating the state’s energy market. The goal of this bill was to restructure the state’s utilities and “unbundle” the generation, delivery and supply rates so that competitors could offer supply rates to Pennsylvania customers. For more information on Harrisburg’s energy usage, solar score, energy sources and electricity rates, see the information below.
Solar Score for Harrisburg, PA 17110
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Harrisburg, PA 17110
Harrisburg, PA produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Pennsylvania is the 2nd largest nuclear energy producing state behind Illinois
- PA is the 3rd largest supplier of electricity in the country behind Texas and Florida
- While coal is still a main source of energy, natural gas has risen significantly in the past decade
- Wind and solar energy are the primary sources of renewable energy in the state.
Looking for a specific city in Pennsylvania? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: