Location: Lancaster, PA
Lancaster is located in the southcentral part of Pennsylvania and has a population of 59,332. The metro area of Lancaster is home to 507,766 residents making it the 2nd largest metro in the region. Lancaster residents have had energy deregulation since House Bill 1509 was passed by the state’s legislature in 1996. The bill, also known as the Electricity Generation Customer Choice and Competition Act, called for the states energy utilities to restructure and separate their charges. While the generation and delivery charges still come from the utility, the energy supply charges are now able to be shopped and compared in Pennsylvania. In this section, we provide you more information on the Lancaster energy market and electricity supply rates to shop and compare.
Check Out Our Latest Video on Pennsylvania
Solar Score for Lancaster, PA
Compare Electricity has developed a solar score for Lancaster, PA residents and businesses of 21/100. The score is based on on a combination of factors including how much sun the area receives, roof space and obstacles that may obstruct the sun, electricity generation needed to be cost-effective, and more. Here is a description of each section of the solar score graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Lancaster, PA
Lancaster, PA produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Pennsylvania is the 2nd largest nuclear energy producing state behind Illinois
- PA is the 3rd largest supplier of electricity in the country behind Texas and Florida
- While coal is still a main source of energy, natural gas has risen significantly in the past decade
- Wind and solar energy are the primary sources of renewable energy in the state.
Looking for a specific city in Pennsylvania? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: