Location: Philadelphia, PA 19151
Philadelphia is the largest city in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and is the 6th largest city in the US with a population of over 1.5 million people. The Philadelphia metro-area is the 7th largest in the nation with an estimated 7.2 million residents. Philadelphia residents have had the ability to shop and compare electricity supply rates since the state passed the Electricity Generation Customer Choice and Competition Act in 1996. The goal of this bill was to lower the energy rates in the states by restructuring the state's utilities and introducing competitors to the market. Since the bill was passed, energy rates have dropped considerably state-wide. For more information on the Philadelphia energy market including electricity rates, energy sources, solar score, and energy usage, see the graphs below.
Solar Score for Philadelphia, PA 19151
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Philadelphia, PA 19151
Philadelphia, PA produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Pennsylvania is the 2nd largest nuclear energy producing state behind Illinois
- PA is the 3rd largest supplier of electricity in the country behind Texas and Florida
- While coal is still a main source of energy, natural gas has risen significantly in the past decade
- Wind and solar energy are the primary sources of renewable energy in the state.
Looking for a specific city in Pennsylvania? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: