Location: Cranston, RI
Cranston is Rhode Island’s 3rd largest city with a population of 80,529. Once known as Pawtuxet, the city is located in Providence County and was named to Money Magazine’s “100 Best Places to Live" in 2006. While there are no fossil fuels in Cranston, or the rest of Rhode Island, it is home to a substantial amount of renewable energy. Rhode Island has had energy deregulation since 1998 and was the first state in the nation to open its energy market to retail energy providers. Due to their historically high rates compared to the rest of the country, thousands have switched off their utility to a lower electricity rate. For more information on the Cranston, RI energy market, see the graphs below.
Solar Score for Cranston, RI
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Cranston, RI
Cranston, RI produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- 95% of electricity comes from natural gas
- Solar, wind and biomass energy make up the remaining 5% of electricity generation
- The natural gas used in RI is received via pipeline from New York or Massachusetts
- Rhode Island is home to the first offshore wind farm on Block Island
Looking for a specific city in Rhode Island? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: