Location: Newport, RI
Newport sits off the coast of Rhode Island and was a major port during the Colonial Era. The town has an estimated population of 24,073 but has thousands of visitors each year due to its rich history. Newport residents we some of the first in the nation to have a choice in their electricity supplier when RI passed energy deregulation laws in 1998. Rhode Island was the first state in the nation to deregulate their energy market and allowed only 25 retail energy providers into the state at first. Today, while thousands of Rhode Islanders have switched to a lower electricity rate, the majority of residents still have shopped and switched energy providers. For more information on Newport’s energy sources, usage and solar score, see the graph below.
Solar Score for Newport, RI
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Newport, RI
Newport, RI produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- 95% of electricity comes from natural gas
- Solar, wind and biomass energy make up the remaining 5% of electricity generation
- The natural gas used in RI is received via pipeline from New York or Massachusetts
- Rhode Island is home to the first offshore wind farm on Block Island
Looking for a specific city in Rhode Island? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: