Location: Providence, RI 02918
Providence is the capital and largest city in Rhode Island. It is the 3rd largest city in New England with a population of 179,154 residents. The Providence metro area that extends into Massachusetts and has an estimated population of 1.6 million. Rhode Island passed energy deregulation laws in 1998 and allowed only a few retail energy providers into the state at first. By 2000, the state was fully deregulated, and more energy providers were allowed into the state and could offer competitive electric rates. Even though the state has been deregulated for over a decade, only about 2,000 RI residents have switched off their utility. For more information on the Providence, RI energy market, see the graphs below.
Solar Score for Providence, RI 02918
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Providence, RI 02918
Providence, RI produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- 95% of electricity comes from natural gas
- Solar, wind and biomass energy make up the remaining 5% of electricity generation
- The natural gas used in RI is received via pipeline from New York or Massachusetts
- Rhode Island is home to the first offshore wind farm on Block Island
Looking for a specific city in Rhode Island? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: