Location: Columbia, MD
Columbia is the 2nd most populated city in Maryland after Baltimore. The 2015 estimated population of Columbia was 103,431 residents. After a bill was passed by the Maryland General Assembly in 1999, Columbia residents were free to shop and compare their electricity supply rate from competing retail energy providers. Their utility, Baltimore Gas & Electric, still handles the delivering of the electricity to the Columbia residents. Columbia residents demand reliable and affordable electricity rates due to their warm and humid summers and cold winters. Find out more about Columbia energy usage, energy sources, solar potential and electricity rates below.
Here is Our Latest Video For Maryland Residents
Solar Score for Columbia, MD
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. Columbia, MD has received a solar score of 49. Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Columbia, MD
Columbia, MD produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Coal and nuclear power account for most of the electricity production in Columbia
- Columbia is home to one of the largest biomass plants in Maryland
- Natural gas and been increasing steadily in the past 10 years as an electricity source for Columbia residents
- Maryland is home to one of the biggest hydroelectric power plants in the nation
Looking for a specific city in Maryland? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: