Location: Pittsburgh, PA 15282
The city of Pittsburgh is home to 305,704 residents and a metro area of over 2.4 million. Know as the “Steel City”, the industrial sector uses the majority of the energy in the city. In late 1996, Pennsylvania pass House Bill 1509, also known as the Electricity Generation Customer Choice and Competition Act, which started the process of deregulating the PA energy market. Prior to the bill being passed, consumers in Pennsylvania were paying nearly $10 billion per year in energy prices. The goal of this bill was to drop that number by $2 billion per year by introducing competitors to the energy market. For more information on the Pittsburgh energy market, see the graphs below.
Solar Score for Pittsburgh, PA 15282
The Solar Score represents how good of a candidate you are for a home solar installation. We take into account a combination of factors specific to your area. Using these factors, we can determine how long it would take for a home solar installation to pay for itself. has received a solar score of . Below is a description for each area of the graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Pittsburgh, PA 15282
Pittsburgh, PA produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- Pennsylvania is the 2nd largest nuclear energy producing state behind Illinois
- PA is the 3rd largest supplier of electricity in the country behind Texas and Florida
- While coal is still a main source of energy, natural gas has risen significantly in the past decade
- Wind and solar energy are the primary sources of renewable energy in the state.
Looking for a specific city in Pennsylvania? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: