Energy Sources in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania passed The Electric Generation Customer Choice and Competition Act of 1996 and by January of 2000 retail electricity providers were beginning to enter the state. Currently, over 500,000 PA residents and businesses have taken advantage of their right to switch electricity providers. Pennsylvania residents have 13% higher rates on average than the rest of the country. However, PA businesses enjoy 7% cheaper rates on average than the rest of the US. Below you can find more information on the Pennsylvania energy market.
Check Out Our Latest Video on Pennsylvania
Solar Score for Pennsylvania
Compare Electricity has developed a solar score for Pennsylvania residents and businesses of 24/100. The score is based on on a combination of factors including how much sun the area receives, roof space and obstacles that may obstruct the sun, electricity generation needed to be cost-effective, and more. Here is a description of each section of the solar score graph:
- Red = “Not Viable” meaning a solar installation would not be cost-effective.
- Yellow = “Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself over time.
- Green = “Very Viable” meaning a solar installation would pay for itself quickly and has large savings potential.
Sources for Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania produces energy from a variety of sources. Here are the state’s current energy sources and energy production trends.
- PA is the leading producer of coal, natural gas, electricity petroleum in the US
- Pennsylvania is the 3rd largest energy producing state in the US
- About 4% of the energy produced in PA comes from renewable energy sources that include hydroelectric, wind, biomass and solar
- Pennsylvania is the 2nd largest nuclear energy producing state behind Illinois
Looking for a specific city in Pennsylvania? Check out our featured cities below for more specific energy usage information.
Compare Electricity is dedicated to keeping you current and up to date with industry leading research. View all the latest news, articles and videos for your location below: